Saturday 17 May 2014

Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant

Firstly, I'd just like to say that I'm not promoting Amazon Instant Video, or Prime or Lovefilm Instant or whatever the hell it's called now. In fact I've gone off it quite a lot since it's changed from Lovefilm as the new layout is rubbish. However, it does have an amazing selection of retro children's TV shows that have given me a huge dose of nostalgia.

I know this makes me sound really old, but they just don't make them like they used to. I don't have kids, but what I have seen of children's TV nowadays, Waybaloo and whatnot, makes me feel like I want to bang my head against a wall.

So when I discovered Amazon't selection of old TV shows I was in heaven. Here are a few of my favourites. If you don't have Amazon Prime I'm sure you'll be able to find them on YouTube somewhere.


Huxley Pig


Huxley Pig - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant

I can't say Huxley Pig without saying oink oink straight afterwards. I love the cheerful narration by Martin Jarvis and the imaginative but simple adventures of Huxley Pig and Sam the Seagull.


Thomas and Friends


Thomas the Tank Engine - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


I never realised at the time that Ringo Starr narrates Thomas and Friends, a frigging Beatle! I don't really have to explain why Thomas the Tank Engine is a classic; the books were great and the TV show built on this. Every character is perfect, especially the Fat Controller.


The Wild Thornberrys


The Wild Thornberrys - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


Speaking of not realising celebrities voiced characters, The Wild Thornberrys has loads of famous voices; Eliza is Lacey Chabert from Mean Girls (presumably before Mean Girls fame), the great Tim Curry voices Nigel Thornberry and, randomly, Flea from The Red Hot Chilli Peppers voices Donnie. Amazing TV programme, even if Eliza was a bit too much of a goody two shoes sometimes.


Rocko's Modern Life


Rocko's Modern Life - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


I never actually realised that Rocko was a Wallaby, I thought he was some kind of dog. Rocko's Modern Life has got that simple but surreal comedy that always wins in kids shows. Especially love Heffer.


The Shoe People


The Shoe People - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


I'm so glad I found this. The Shoe People was one of my favourite shows and I had a much watched video of it when I was younger. I just loved when all the dust cleared and the shoes started to come to life.


The Angry Beavers


The Angry Beavers - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


I distinctly remember my dad laughing at this programme and saying that "somebody has a dirty sense of humour." Didn't get it at the time. Even though I do get it now Angry Beavers still reminds me of a more innocent age.


Charlie Chalk


Charlie Chalk - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


I just love all the stop motion children's programmes; Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and more. Charlie Chalk was another great one about a clown who finds himself on a strange island.


Round The Twist


Round the Twist - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


I don't think I ever worked out what Round The Twist was about, something to do with a lighthouse and a ghost? But it has the catchiest theme tune ever. Worth a watch just for the eighties/nineties fashions.



The Herbs


The Herbs - Retro Children's TV on Amazon Instant


Finally I have The Herbs, this show is from the seventies and is one that my parents used to watch. The fact that it is still being watched shows how great the characters of Parsley the Lion and the other herbs are. I'm a very friendly lion called Parsley...


There are loads of other great old children's shows on Amazon but I can't be bothered to write any more. Instead I'm going to be a grown woman watching children's television on a Saturday night. I'm owning it.





No comments:

Post a Comment