Monday 3 June 2013

Rag Rug: Stage One

I've recently moved house and, as I'm sure you'll know if you've been in the same situation, it seems to be soaking up money. Even though I've been given a lot of hand-me-downs, the bills keep piling up (literally, there is a rather high water bill that I am ignoring and hoping will go away).

The bedroom has bare floorboards, which look lovely, but are rather cold. Instead of buying a rug I've decided I'm going to try and make one to save on money and use up all the fabric I have lying around. I was inspired by this tutorial from Jaime at www.our-everyday-art.com.

She uses a non-skid rug mat as a base but I couldn't find one that was affordable so I got a metre of Hessian Sacking from Minerva Crafts. Sacking's been used in rug making for centuries; it was normally combined with scraps of old textiles and clothes that were cut or torn into strips. That is what I did with my fabric. They're approximately 8cm long but I wasn't being exact, that's the beauty of this sort of project, you can be messy.


I then threaded them through two holes in the Hessian. You can use a hook or a 'prodder' to do this but I found that scissors were just as good. I then tied the fabric in a knot to secure it.



I left a gap of a few threads between each piece of fabric to stop the hessian unravelling.


It's pretty easy but very time consuming, those three lines took me two hours. But it's quite therapeutic to do sitting in front of the TV. I'm hoping it will look good when it's finished, check back in about ten years to see the results!





No comments:

Post a Comment